Established chapter or created?

AgentP

I think I'm going to abandon the idea of making a chapter tied to the mechanicus, and just focus on what would be interesting to paint. I think I've narrowed it down to either White Scars, or Stormlords. I never wanted to do white scars, or a successor chapter of them before because I didn't want to do a bike army. But I think now, especially with sky hammer some new and interesting options have opened up for them beyond the typical bike army.

• Like 1

Make your own chapter! Make them still close allies of the AM!

Let's see, good names:

- The White Noise

- Clear Results

- The White Papers

- The Emperor's Lab Coats

- Angels of the Bit

- The Disassemblers

- Watchers of the Nexus

- Knights of the First Law

- Angels Annihilant

- The Silent Runners

- Runners of the Blade

- Iron Saints

- The Angels Prime

- The White Sentinels

- Wardens of the Bend

- The Oncoming Storm

- Knights of Kraal

- Knights of Androzani

- Guardians of Lore

- Space Crows

- Watchers of Calculon

- The Centurions

- Knights of Doom

- Deus Machina

I think I'm going to abandon the idea of making a chapter tied to the mechanicus, and just focus on what would be interesting to paint. I think I've narrowed it down to either White Scars, or Stormlords. I never wanted to do white scars, or a successor chapter of them before because I didn't want to do a bike army. But I think now, especially with sky hammer some new and interesting options have opened up for them beyond the typical bike army.

Stormlords are really neat looking. I like the idea of the halved scheme, and using the helmet color to indicate company number. It's an idea that I wish I had thought of first. 

Imperial fists would be amazing . I love the look of them when they're done correctly. And nobody needs to be able to reroll ones like me and my dice. Painting yellow scares me so much. I've never seen a yellow that covered in less than eight coats.

• Like 2

I did my Angry Marines with the Daemonic Yellow Army Painter Primer, it was a good foundation to work from.  

That said, I am after a more cartoonish look (blacklining on light colors) so it involves a few extra steps.  The GW base/foundation paint for yellow (my old one is Iyanden Darksun, I believe it is something different now) is handy, but is darker than I would like if you're after a vivid canary/lemon yellow finish.  I pre-highlight with ceramite white before I apply the flash gits yellow since the layer paint yellow is a bit translucent and helps with the coverage issues, but that is also over top of .  Imperial fists are likely about the same, and a well done yellow is always visually appealing, but hard to keep really clean looking and not muddy from layers showing through.

A good white army is somewhat similar, but I've generally found the yellow paints to be more translucent than the white ones.

Grabbed an old Vanguard Veteran I had and painted him up tonight, to test painting white.  He's done in white and red, ala White Scars or some other chapter.  Painted pretty easily all in all.  It took a while, but it was more a factor of the detail on the marine models than anything else.  What's more, I think an army painted like this would really stand out on the table and look appealing.  

• Like 3

I found the perfect chapter!  

After painting up a test model, I really liked the white armor with red accents.  Bryan also encouraged me to find a way to use my Blood Angels models, which of course made using wing iconography necessary.  So after a few hours of internet searching I discovered....drum roll.......

The Storm Hawks

150px-StormHawks.jpg

They are an existing chapter, but a blank slate.  Nothing written about them.  Founding uncertain, possibly from Raven Guard, but possibly not.   

• Like 4

After painting up a test model, I really liked the white armor with red accents.  Bryan also encouraged me to find a way to use my Blood Angels models, which of course made using wing iconography necessary.  So after a few hours of internet searching I discovered....drum roll.......

The Storm Hawks

150px-StormHawks.jpg

They are an existing chapter, but a blank slate.  Nothing written about them.  Founding uncertain, possibly from Raven Guard, but possibly not.   

Very nice. I look forward to seeing them on the table top. :)

The Storm Hawks

150px-StormHawks.jpg

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about!  This is perfect!