Soft imperial knight armies?

So if the arm can move 150 degrees horizontally if it was a vehicle it would have that arc but as a walker it is limited to a 45 degree arc?  

I would agree with this assessment because then it starts to raise the issue of modeling for advantage. People that glue down their knights are going to be screwed with their arcs comparatively to a more knowledgeable player/modeler who makes their arms movable. 

Then you start to get into things about count as models which might have better or worse arcs of arm movements. I think it is much easier for ease and speed of play to have arcs be set. 

A Knight arm isn't a hull mounted weapon either.

This.  It acts similar to a Hull Mounted Weapon, and they are referred to as being Mounted on the Walker (Just as the TLLC Turret is Mounted on the Pred), and so that seems to be playing into the argument quite a bit.  

The way I read shooting with a walker is, you point your weapon at the target.  Knight Arms Swivel, Dreadnoughts do not (on the horizontal axis). The rule book addresses the lack of Dreadnoughts rotating their torso by saying Walker Mounted Weapons draw LOS 45* from their Barrel.  Knight Weapons are able to bring their arms to their targets much like a sponson, but are not sponsons.  Knights CAN nearly bring a 360* firing arc with each arm if you want to contort them.  I feel that is abuse.  The Instructions for assembling the Knight specify that you DO NOT GLUE the arm joints, allowing the arms to target things beyond 22.5* each direction beyond front arc of the shoulder pads.  Following the Instructions is not modeling for an advantage.

• Like 1

Interesting only you never reference the vehicle movable weapons as for walkers it is set... Different language and such which is the crux of the convo pretre and I agreed to disagree on. I read the 45 degrees sentence as stand alone and strict (as it simply states assume the walker can swivel fun 45 degrees, no mention of using actual swivel if it has it) while pretre (validly) reads the second sentence to allow movement.

I've always been rule of cool and use most restrictive interpretation, while acknowledging (grudgingly sometimes) that there is a more powerful way to play it. I figure if I play conservatively I won't get nerfed so bad :).

• Like 1

A predator turret is not a hull mounted weapon but a turret with 360 degree arc

Turrets don't automatically have 360 arcs, either. Like other weapons, they use the rotation provided by the model- the Stormraven's turret, for example, cannot turn to face the rear of the aircraft because the intake vent blocks its rotation; a Stormtalon's however, can do so.

Walker weapons, like all other weapons, can fire into any arc they can rotate to. If the weapon is glued in place (but would normally be mobile), you use the presumed arc of movement for it. If it is on a fixed mount, you use the 45 degree rotation.

• Like 2

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Where are folks seeing a 360 degree on a knight??? It's not 45 on each side it is 22.5 on each and the arm can't point backwards. The pretre rai only doubles arc. I don't think that is op.

I just took my knight out the swivel arc avout 60 degrees so that means it has at best 105 degree fire range. I was wrong in saying 150. That is about 30% Los.

Dreamforge Knights are much larger and using their pivot would be modeling to advantage.

Let's be realistic here in our arguments in what the consequences of our arguments are. One camp is 45 degrees next is around 105. That is no way near 360 where does anyone get 360 unless you are using a 3rd party model or massive conversions.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I did basic build and follow instructions and I have a 60 degree arc not sure how you can swivel past hip with thermal and battle.

I did basic build and follow instructions and I have a 60 degree arc not sure how you can swivel past hip with thermal and battle.

You have the arm pistons attached, correct?  From what I can tell, if you glue those on, you can't get the 300 degree arc.  It looks to me that what you describe would happen.  

I would say leaving those pistons off to allow for that >90* arc is modeling for an advantage, since it seems those pistons keep the Knight from going that wide.