Shapeways declares bankruptcy and shuts down.

One of the big online 3d printer services, shapeways, shut down earlier this month. Dust printers and such. It was a pretty cool service, though the really cool stuff was way out of my price range. Sad times for a lot of the STL file makers that were running shops there, too.

https://www.tctmagazine.com/additive-manufacturing-3d-printing-news/latest-additive-manufacturing-3d-printing-news/shapeways-ceases-operations-and-files-for-bankruptcy/

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I mean, it sucks an all... but this is business.  And with the maturing 3d printing market - better printers out nearly monthly - their business model is now out of date.  I hope customers whom have paid get their items. But in the end - this is normal in many industries. 

I was kinda surprised that Shapeways was multi-national when I was reading about this over the weekend. I am interested to see how this market niche shakes out over the next year.

• Like 2

for some reason .. initially I had thought that they had some sort of "gig economy" distributed set up ... for 3d printing.  I didn't know they did all that other stuff lol. I have never used them... so I guess I just didn't really think about it.

-d

• 1 month later...