Roll 20

Raindog

I’ve had some very good times playing in games of Shadowrun and Mutants & Masterminds run over Skype, with the GM just using MS Paint to occasionally sketch something out on the fly and using Skype’s built in image sharing options for other pictures previously drawn or pulled off the web. No built in dice rollers or character sheets, we all just relied on the honor system and rolled our own dice. No battle maps or anything either, just some very rough “okay, John is in the lobby and Jessica’s up on the roof” type descriptions.

Worked well enough, but virtual tabletops like Roll 20 and the like certainly seem to offer a lot more... 

Oh yeah, and you can assign visibility ranges, fog of war, Darkvision, spell effects, etc. I had only started to fiddle around with that, but it was impressive for a free environment.  My roomie prefers a dungeon engine.  he got through steam via Kickstarter, I think.  That said, the things he has as a result of paid purchase is pretty impressive.  Beyond that, the GUIs look pretty similar.  A bunch of preloaded stuff or support for various games.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

My current group is trying to use Discord to be able to track notes and OOC stuff.  Looks like they've used it instead of Skype for playing with a couple long distance party members.  I'm not really a fan of discord, but I don't know if it is a custom interface thing, or what.  Reminds me of old IRC chats. 

I've always had a good experience using Obsidian Portal for tracking campaign notes and so forth.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My group has been using Discord for communication and Roll20 for maps and combat. I have a lot of macros and shortcuts set up to run the game smoothly in a VTT setting. 

I like it, it takes a little more prep work but its really rewarding. 

I have also started messing around with writing character sheet codes. I have always been a huge fan of creating codes for things like encounter generators and so running a game behind the computer allows me to use them actively 

• Like 1