The cost of rules (40k)

Companies must always continue to grow. They've already milked models for what they can, and the market is saturated. Rules are the only thing left to saturate? I mean, changing the codex to make previously mass purchased stuff useless is their norm. Thus forcing you to purchase the other models, etc. My biggest issue is 'complexity' my brain hurts to keep track of 40k games now.

This is why I'm already thinning my 40k, selling all my Space Marine stuff, or trading :)

The only reason they need to continually grow is that they're publicly traded. I think is the source of any of their problems. Wish they'd get bought out and go private again. There's a lot more long term investments companies can do when they're not beholden to quarterly profits. At this point, they should be leveraging and strengthening their IP.

Any other mini game companies that are publicly traded?

• Like 2

Hello there,

I'm just curious... "normally" do folks just get a ruleset and their army's codex and expect their opponent to do the same?  Seems like it'd cut those costs dramatically.

Now, for folks like myself who get it all... yeah, that's a lot of cash for some books.  But (a) I like the fluff; (b) my kid likes different armies and © I can happily help folks that don't have the various codices or whatnot by loaning them mine.  I also like getting the various inspirations on paint jobs, scenery, basing ideas, etc. that the codices have.

And, coming from someone who left after 3rd edition... wasn't a long-standing complaint by the gamer base that codices and such weren't release quickly enough?  Now it seems like since releases are quicker and such folks don't like that either.  I'd be psyched that more stuff is coming out... I don't have to get it all but it'd give me hope that for example a tyranids codex that wasn't updated for a long time got released. 

Hope that makes sense.

Stay safe,

don

• Like 1

The only reason they need to continually grow is that they're publicly traded. I think is the source of any of their problems. Wish they'd get bought out and go private again. There's a lot more long term investments companies can do when they're not beholden to quarterly profits. At this point, they should be leveraging and strengthening their IP.

Any other mini game companies that are publicly traded?

While I agree that the root of their issues is being a publicly traded, but my more immediate concern is their general incompetence. With so much social media today, it is easier than ever to collect, track, and analyze customer feedback. Facebook and twitter literally do almost all of the work. Instead, they've gotten it in their heads that they will somehow be MORE successful if they don't know and don't care what their customers want. They're burying their heads in the sand to avoid low-hanging fruit.

And regardless of whether you like the way they're releasing their content, the numbers are revealing it to be a losing strategy. So what do you do when you find out your strategy is a losing one? Well, if you're GW, you just roll up your sleeves and really dedicate yourselves to that poorly thought out scheme.

So their sales are dropping and they are pushing more and more customers into the eager arms of the competition. And they don't seem even the slightest bit interested in correcting their nose dive. I dearly, dearly hope at this point that they sell of 40k to a company who's just as passionate about their games as when they first opened. IP as rich and established as 40k should not be in the hands of people who conduct business with the naivete and arrogance of children.

• Like 2

Rick Priestly did an AMA on Reddit about a year ago: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/172inz/i_am_rick_priestley_ask_me_anything/

It's an interesting read and addresses, albeit indirectly, some of the issues discussed in this thread.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting we all go out and burn our 40k armies and codices and Play Rick's Gates of Antares (not even sure where it's at in the dev process after the kickstarter fizzled)

• Like 1

Yeah, for the record, I don't want anyone quitting 40k but GW. It's a great game but it's handled by people who like it a lot less than us.

Agreed! Is it possible to quit GW and not 40k? Is it still 40k, then? Will it be homebrewed in garages and come at the price of giving up community play? (Note: these are questions I do not have answers for,  not counter-points, Kev) I'm genuinely interested in a club based alternate rules system as long as it doesn't require unilateral acceptance and/or a blood oath....well definitely not unilateral acceptance :huh:

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.