Hobbying with Balsa

ive used balsa wood for both model conversion and a bunch of the terrain in the shop. 

like VonVikee said its pretty soft, but as long as you baby the model and protect it it will be fine. All of my orc and goblin warmachines are built from balsa wood. I assume your curious about building stuff for your skaven to which i would say go for it. 

• Like 3

Should work,  use pins to connect to the metal,  super glue does not work well... best luck I had was using elmers glue all (Not school glue) for balsa to balsa.  Then applying a smoothed out spot of the elmers where it would meet metal, letting it dry over night,  and super gluing the elmers spot to the metal. Prolly work well for plastic as well

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My skaven are all second hand so many pieces didn't make the transition.  I am using the balsa to complete larger models.  I will need to fabricate some models from scratch as well.

And Movement trays, OH MY [big bad swear word]ING GOD MOVEMENT TRAYS......SO MANY RATS

I plan on using the bass wood for the movement trays

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JMGraham said:

Bass wood movement trays are totally the way to go!

agreed, I recently bought some bass wood on Jims recommendation and I will never go back to what I was doing before. its really sturdy and pretty cheap. I wouldnt use it for modeling so stick with balsa wood for that.

• Like 1

ok, for the next dimension of movement trays...magnetizing 

When I want to texture a large piece of terrain I'll often just put the sand and pebbles into a thick paint and use that as the base coat, two birds...

Has anyone tried using steel iron shavings like this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/242125491/steel-iron-shavings-filings-cuttings?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-craft_supplies_and_tools-other&utm_custom1=1d0073f1-bf3e-4030-9783-132fa3c90268&gclid=CPDDpeOH69ICFVBhfgodmyUPBg

mixed with thick paint, like maybe latex, and painted that as a base coat of the movement tray to get a ferrus layer down for magnets?

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.